Looking for a professional carpet cleaner, but overwhelmed with the options?
There are a few things to consider when comparing companies for carpet cleaning services – you want to make an informed decision.
Estimates – Make sure to get an in-home quote instead of over the phone.
The best way to ensure you’re getting a fair and accurate quote is by having an expert carpet cleaner see the condition of your carpeting, evaluate which areas actually need care, discuss areas of concern and take measurements.
The technician should discuss the below with you:
- Carpet fiber type – wool, nylon, olefin, etc.
- Which cleaning method is recommended for the type of carpeting you have. Hot water extraction is recommended for a majority of fibers, but some natural or delicate fibers should not get wet and need to be dry-cleaned.
- Whether you are sensitive to chemicals and fragrances. The technician can then recommend the appropriate cleaning solutions to use.
- Review any areas of particular concern- high traffic areas, stains, etc. A professional technician can provide a realistic expectation on the cleaning outcome. Some spots could be difficult or impossible to remove; they should address that with you prior to cleaning.
- The technician should measure the areas to be cleaned. A professional will let you know what parts need cleaning and what doesn’t. This will give you an accurate quote and you won’t pay for unnecessary cleaning– saving you money in the long run.
- The technician should give you instructions on drying times. Drying times will depend on humidity and time of year. In the summer months, carpet may dry within a few hours with the windows open. In the winter, windows should be opened slightly and the heat on. Your carpet should dry within 12 – 24 hours.
Ask whether the people performing the work have industry certifications.
Reputable, professional companies will have certified technicians who have been through extensive training (IICRC – Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certifications). It’s important for the cleaning technician to know the differences between synthetic or natural fibers, as different cleaning solutions and methods may be necessary. If you have any problem areas – with stains or pet issues – hiring someone with the knowledge and experience is even more important. Having your carpets improperly cleaned could invalidate warranties.
What type of equipment and cleaning agents will be used?
Most carpet manufacturers recommend a hot water extraction process, which uses jets to stream highly heated water into the carpeting fibers– forcing soils to the surface. Not only is this the best process of removing dirt, but also extremely effective on stains and odor-causing bacteria– leaving your carpet virtually residue-free and safe for your family and pets.
Technicians should also provide information on the types of cleaning agents to be used. While environmentally friendly, water-based solutions are preferable, there may be situations where harsher chemicals are necessary to address specific issues. Your technician should be able to give you information about the chemicals and notify you whether you need to stay out of the house for a night to let things dissipate. Ask for an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). People with lung conditions, allergies or asthma should check with their technician prior to anything being used.
Some companies will offer you a special – $99 for three rooms – but watch for the fine print. Those offers are created to get your attention, but may try to up-sell extras.
Having your carpet deep cleaned by a professional carpet cleaner every 12 – 18 months can make your carpeting look better, last longer and be healthier for your home.